Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,526Gear list
Like?
Re: A conversation
In reply to deleted080512, Apr 12, 2013

Machine Gun Kelly wrote:

ToddSC wrote:

I'd say that the business side of the equation has gotten a lot more competitive and those photographers that were not very good businessmen are the fatalities.

Competitive equals too many newbie photographers and too few clients.

Agreed. If you're (obviously) among the newbies you're (obviously) struggling. You've made it clear that you are so I'm not particularly surprised that you're posting about it. Don't confuse your situation with everyone's though!

There are a myriad of reasons for not being successful.  The fact that most of these friends are working other jobs indicates that they do not have enough sustaining work/revenue to continue to market their business.  And if you are waiting for work to fall in your lap then you have already given up.  Sure there are some that have that luxury but not many.  Chances are they put in the hard work building a client list years earlier.

For a myriad of reasons people just don't want to pay money for photography any more. It's too easy to do it yourself. The only hard bit any more is lighting and there are easily obtainable books on that.

Do people ever want to spend money on anything? I mean really, who wants to spend money? People want what their money gets them and there's still plenty of people who want good photography.

Also I have seen a number of folks that think they need to have the latest/greatest in equipment to be a pro, so they spend a lions share of their profits on gear.  The equipment is a tool and needs to be used as an end to a means.  I still shoot with older gear but it still works and produces "sellable" images.

Excellent. This is what I do. I shoot with an XT - it produces 8 megapixels which will do excellent 16 x 24 prints. Most people only want 10 x 8 though. No real need to go bigger.

Alrighty then.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Kit?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow