a57 v d5100 for first DSLR

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: Neither
In reply to Bjorn_L, Apr 12, 2013

I am fairly certain that is not accurate.

I'm practically certain you're incorrect.

I believe the camera amplifies the signal coming off the sensor rather then mess around within the data-set post-capture.

That is not at all how it works. The sensor is like a memory chip where cells count incoming light. The *RATE* at which the cells count is analogous to an ISO setting. So, the processor instructs the sensor a counting rate, and then when it is time to take the picture, the memory of the sensor is cleared, counting action is enabled, and the shutter is opened for a duration. During that time, the values on the chip, cell by cell, starting counting, measuring, incoming light. Then the shutter closes, and the sensor is told to stop counting.

It is possible that the sensor never stops counting. But that does not matter. Light is stopped, counting thus stops. It is then time to the copy the values off of the sensor to the in-camera RAM, the same ram as what is used to hold burst images. The transfer of that image memory could be through a DMA mechanism, or could be read by the processor just as if the sensor is a memory chip.

How exactly that works does not matter. What matter here is that there is no "signal" for something off of the chip to "amplify", because that is not how it works.

Were it as you said, then there would not be so much variance between cameras in ISO performance.

Evidence shows that there is not much variance between ISO performance. You insist that others must share your belief that the Nikon has *such* a *huge* advantage for low light, because you keep hammering on it. Evidence shows that is not the case.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow