how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,055Gear list
Like?
Re: how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?
In reply to RezaTravilla, Apr 12, 2013

RezaTravilla wrote:

Herts_JoaTMoN wrote:

My understanding is that on average the 16-50 is marginally worse that the 18-55 (once correction has been applied. With out correction is a completely different story...). Make sure you update the 5N firmware if you go down the 16-50 route to take advantage of the auto preview correction that fixed the distortions etc inherent with the compact lens design.

For me, the added convience of the size out weighs the marginal reduction in IQ, BUT! I use prime lenses when IQ is my main concern. What has put me off is the additional cost. If i can get a good deal on a NEX 6 with this lens then I'll most likely pick one up in a year or so, but I cant justify the addtional cost of the lens itself over 18-55. Id only get about £90 for my current lens and will have to pay about £200 for the PZ. £110 is beyond my current budget as my heart is set on purchasing the 35mm 1.8.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250 / 49mm CP filter / Spare battery / LIM's flash bounce. Film canister diffuser / OPTECH wriststrap
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110 / Franiec Grip.
Sony TX10.

i've read somewhere in this forum that even we already upgrade the firmware to 1.02, the distortion correction can't be applied on JPEG.

I also use Sony NEX5n and thinking to chance my kit lens to 16-50mm PZ. Is it truly the distortion correction can't be applied on JPEG?

Kindly advise.

Regards,

Reza.Travilla

The inverse - distortion correction cannot be turned off on JPEG.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow