The price of the SD1M is still way too high!

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,844
Like?
Re: The price of the SD1M is still way too high!
In reply to victorgv, Apr 12, 2013

I guess the argument is that someone who has a large commitment to one of the major systems might be prepared to try a SD1m if they could use it with the lenses from their system but would be most unlikely to purchase a body and a set of SA lenses just to experiment.

I think the problem is presumably Sigma want people to buy only Sigma lenses and to develop their system as a serious contender.  Using other mounts would enable people not to buy Sigma lenses and wouldn't do much to establish Sigma and a propriatary camera system maker.   However, without doing something to kickstart sales of the SLRs, they seem unlikely to meet their goals.

A compromise tactic might be to try and raise the profle of their products by offering SLRs in a wide range of mount. If they manage to get their cameras into the hands of celebrity pros as an adjunct to their main systems and they get a lot of positive press out of it, maybe then they could close the system down to the SA mount.  I think hasselblad did something similar with their digital backs - first get people using them,then gradually restrict the system to all propriatary products. Don't know if that worked for them.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow