Will Nikon add VR to the 17-55 2.8 dx ever?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ebsilon
Contributing MemberPosts: 602
Like?
Re: Will Nikon add VR to the 17-55 2.8 dx ever?
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 12, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

jonikon wrote:

For the price Nikon is asking for the 17-55 f/2.8 it shouldalready have VC, but  based on Nikon's behavior in recent years, it is unlikely  we will ever see an improved 17-55 f/2.8 with VC. I have rented the 17-55 f2.8 and although it is a fine performer, it is not worth the exorbitant $1400 price. That price is just nuts!  

- Jon

Have you noticed that just about all professional grade f/2.8 zooms are clearly near $2000?

This mentality you have that they are crazy priced is why Nikon, Canon, Sigma and Tamron just aren't going to be doing much in expensive APS-C crop lenses. The price expectations of most DX shooters limit the market too severely.

That's why you'll continue to see inexpensive kit type zooms and a few inexpensive primes made for DX. The quality, IQ and price expectations are way lower among most DX shooters. Not all, just most.

You see, you think it's not worth the exorbitant $1400. I think that's a bargain for a prograde fast zoom. Look at the 14-24 or 24-70. They aren't really harder to build or much larger. They are more expensive though.

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

I think no one should expect more pro grade zooms for DX, but by a reasonable lowering of the build quality (to 16-85 standard rather than 18-55) such a lens could possibly  be offered at a  price closer to 1000$ which might find a market also among DX users, especially now when the D7100 is hitting the market. There is after all a quite huge price gap that can be filled between the 500/700$ Tamron/Sigma versions and the 1400$ Nikon.

-- hide signature --

------- Eirik ----------
Visit my gallery at http://eirikbs.smugmug.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow