What is the true lag-time of the X100 shutter?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chainmale
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
What is the true lag-time of the X100 shutter?
Apr 12, 2013

I have just bought a used X100 and am trying to deal with the 'aperture dance' induced shutter lag. When you are trying to time your moment of exposure precisely the delay incurred from the aperture resetting each time feels like a half second but is probably a bit less. I was wondering if anyone has the equipment to precisely measure this lag - perhaps an electronic stopwatch that can be triggered and photographed to record the delay.

Now that I know about this characteristic of the camera I have a procedure that minimizes the delay but does slow you down somewhat and reduces the number of shots you can fire off in quick succession.

My working method is as follows -

1) Set the AFL/AEL button to switch on/off mode and to lock FOCUS only.

2)Set to aperture priority and remember to set the exposure compensator dial if needed  BEFORE step3 (you can't adjust it when the focus has been locked).

3) Focus on subject and lock focus with AFL button.

4)Now frame the subject and half-press shutter release to lock exposure.

5) The aperature will now dance for half a second but then the camera will then take a photo with minimal lag. However if you keep shutter release half pressed and take another shot, the aperture WILL dance again, causing another half second delay before exposure is captured. So, I fully release the shutter release after each shot and prepare for the next shot by half pressing as quickly as possible in preparation for the next shot. This way you get the dance out of the way and the shutter is set for instant release again. The exposure reading is re-taken each time this way (unless you choose to lock it with the focus at step 3 - which isn't always the best time to lock the exposure for various reasons). This is probably just me being finnicky and may not be an issue with most people. But a lot can change within a scene in a half second so I like exposure lag to be minimal. In real terms I suppose instead of firing 6 shots off in 5 seconds on my Samsung NX10, I can only do about 3 on the Fuji. I will just have to learn to be more decisive, I guess!

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow