Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Cougar encounter
Apr 12, 2013

I was out on a mountain bike ride on a remote road this evening when helicopters started hovering over me. I wondered what was going on, a fire, police puruit on the highway below, ...? They sure weren't reporting on the regrowth of the forest after the 2009 Station Fire. Then 3 California Fish and Game trucks passed me going up the dirt road, which is a locked at the highway. I caught up with them at a turnout about a mile later and this is what they had with them. A mountain lion had invaded the city of Glendale a mile from the forest. They tranquilized it and brought it up into the forest to let it go. When I got there it was sleeping it off. E-5 and 14-54 mm mkI lens.

Sleeping cougar, 120 pound male, full grown

Cougar claws, the first line of attack

I've got a cougar by the tail. This was the only soft part of him. The rest was all fur, bone and muscle.

Cougar Tail

The action end. I love these whiskers.

Sleeping with his eyes wide open

That's as close as I've ever been to a live mountain lion and probably closer than I'll ever be again and live to tell about it.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow