DP2M: That's Resolution

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
808: resolution very impressive, DR and noise not so
In reply to petr marek, Apr 12, 2013

Hi Petr,

I (somehow) agree with you. The sheer resolution of the 808 is mind-boggling considering how small the sensor is and that this is a cell phone camera. I looked a lot on dpreview's 808 studio scene and I am seriously impressed. If you only consider resolution: the 808'er output resolution is more impressive than the DPxM output (given the constraints!).

That's why I think all that focus on resolution alone as single measure of image quality falls a bit short. The 808's pixel quality is obviously not very good (but there are just soooo many pixels), the dynamic range is very very poor and the 100% images are quite noisy (which was to be expected).

I guess it would be possible to squeeze the 808'er sensor and optics into something just a bit large than a lighter. Now add an automatic multi exposures blending mode too overcome noise and dynamic range problems (works on static scenes only but ok)... wow!

Cheers

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow