iZoom, FZ200, LX7, FastStone - a few thoughts

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,434Gear list
Like?
Re: iZoom, FZ200, LX7, FastStone - a few thoughts
In reply to Detail Man, Apr 12, 2013

Detail Man wrote:

I have not seen the examples that you have seen - but it seems clear that they had better hope that pixelation (which will be more prevalent using a cropped image-sensor) does not add together with low exposure areas such that the "i-resolution" processing interprets those areas as "soft gradation areas".

I appreciate your comments, as always.

The "examples that I have seen" are my own tests under the heading "Re-shoot with better set-up - 100 ISO" on Page 2 and the 2nd message where I used 400 ISO.

The iZoom images are better than the Normal zoom 24x images upsized 2x in FastStone Resize/Resample.

Non-linear sharpening that only works in good light

I was at f2.8 and 1/15 sec (100 ISO) and 1/60 sec (400 ISO), using the tripod and all the usual precautions, so those seem reasonable test conditions to me.

I am not about to use iZoom, in the field or indoors, at 800-1600 ISO, but if I did, it might hold up anyway - I don't know.

on subject-matter that lacks significant amounts of very fine details seems to me like a potential recipe for trouble.

Well, I had 15-foot distance, fur, feathers, cloth weave texture, a good range of colours including red (the most likely one to bleed) and some background shadow for nasties to incubate.

So iZoom on the FZ200 looks pretty good to me and I shall use it, with caveats, and I think that the fact that birders are using it is highly significant.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow