Do I really "need" a Q :-)

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,250
Like?
Re: Do I really "need" a Q :-)
In reply to SRT201, Apr 12, 2013

SRT201 wrote:

Trying to figure out what to do with a BestBuy gift card and the Q (not the Q10) seemed an option.

I have the K-01 and really like it.  Sure the Q is VERY small but will it essentially just be a replacement for a P&S?

Yes, but try one first. Taking pics on it is quite addictive (to me).

Compared to some more capable cams, I miss faster autofocus and a viewfinder but I love the feel and controls of this cam; it's definitely fun and I don't feel compromised button-wise; all common controls are where I want them or easily accessible. When the sun isn't shining directly into its display, I'm having a lot of fun with the Q. If you need a viewfinder (and I often do), use a camera with a viewfinder and don't bother with the Q.

Will that small appeal wear off when the sacrifice in IQ becomes more apparent?

it depends on what sort of shooter you are; nobody can answer that better than you.

I gather the output looks decent in good light but gets into P&S territory when indoors.

the prime lens (f1.9) makes all the difference in low light, but it's not wide enough and can be considered inflexible compared to something like the Panasonic DMC-LX7 or similar cams, which can do low light well with a zoom lens.

To me it's a niche cam, and a very enjoyable one compared to so many other point&shoots in a similar price range. If you understand its limitations (and its strengths) you will be pleased with the purchase. If you have other expectations, then you may be disappointed.

To me, it satisfied my curiousity lust.

It satisfies my "oh, it's discounted! I must have it!" lust.

It satisfies my "this is a unique cam" lust.

It satisfies my "low light prime in a small package" lust (if you get that lens).

And it offers a level of fun that is pretty much unmatched in the other cameras I have tried, yet it's not built like a toy with toy controls but instead a nice photographic tool.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow