Reasons why no Nikon 85mm f1.2?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
whoosh1
Contributing MemberPosts: 933
Like?
Re: Not convincing - nt
In reply to clarnibass, Apr 12, 2013

clarnibass wrote:

Maybe... but it is very clear from that photo that the rear lens in Canon's version is bigger than the Nikon mount and would be impossible. Whether Nikon can make an f/1.2 lens with a significantly different design that would use a samller rear lens, or whether it's even possible (maybe 85mm f/1.2 simply requires this size of lens), I have no idea.

I agree as sees from the photo that the design of Canon 85mm f/1.2 has a wider rear element than the Nikon 85mm f/1.4D - but similar to what you said none of us here on this forum have any idea whether it would be possible to have a different 85mm f/1.2 lens design where you have a smaller rear element that would fit in Nikon F mount. However I see assertions by forum members as if they were a gospel - that the Nikon mount is too small for 85mm f/1.2 or an autofocus f/1.2 lens of any focal length. Similarly I don't know why the mount size does not matter for an 600mm f/4 lens (which should have 150mm aperture much larger than the mount size) and the larger aperture can be achieved with a larger front element for that lens - while the mount size matters for 85mm f/1.2 lens (70.83 mm aperture size) and the big aperture cannot be achieved using a larger front element.

From the picture (linked by Grevture) I would think that Canon took advantage of the larger mount size for their 85mm f/1.2 design - but if Nikon were to design it they would design differently taking their own mount size into consideration. I have not checked side-by-side but from the dpreview review of Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II where they show the Nikon next to the Canon - it seems to me that the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 rear element is wider but the Nikon lens is longer. May be that is related to the mount size or may be it is just a different design - but definitely different dimensions (longer/narrower vs wider/shorter). I fail to understand why similar difference in dimensions cannot be present for 85mm f/1.2 if Nikon were to decide to make one.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_70-200_2p8_vrii_n15/Images/three50s.jpg

BTW Canon 70-200 f/2.8 is 3.5 in * 7.8 in while Nikon is 3.4 in * 8.1 in.

Similar differences in dimensions:

Nikon 85mm f/1.8g: 3.1 * 2.9

Canon 85mm f/1.8: 3.0 * 2.8

Nikon 200mm f/2: 4.9 * 8.0

Canon 200mm f/2: 5.0 * 8.2

OK - peace - if folks want to believe Nikon mount is too narrow for f/1.2 lens - that's fine with me. However I find that assertion unsubstantiated and unconvincing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow