What is the best digital camera for photographing fast moving objects? (sports, children, animals)

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Capturing the FULL REVIEW QUOTE so it can be taken in context
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, Apr 12, 2013

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

BrewLab wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

AF is too slow for fast moving subjects.

Unless the OP plans on shooting speeding bullets that's a very misleading statement. In fact,   one of the more ridiculous statements I've seen on this forum. Have you any actual real life experience with this camera? If not, it's pretty irresponsible to suggest to the OP, who's asking for people's opinions before making a major purchase, to talk down a camera that may fit their needs perfectly just because you in love with the camera you've chosen to use. I can look at the specs on the V1 and come to the conclusion that it's probably not for me (I need better high ISO performance and prefer more control over my camera settings), but having no real life experience with it, I would never suggest to someone that it's inferior to my kit (even if it is). Not to mention that it's comparing apples to oranges...SLT to compact mirrorless.

If you actually have owned an A57, I stand corrected.

You stand corrected. The OP wants too shoot fast moving action, as in sports... kids running around or even more challenging, towards you... a dog bolting after a ball, birds in flight, etc... not a team of players standing still in between plays, or kids sitting on a sofa or snoozing pets.

DPR reviewed the A57 and wrote...

When photographing static and slow-moving subjects we found the AF system to work quickly and accurately. Fast-moving subjects, are much more of a challenge, however. While you can capture 10fps in the camera's continuous AE priority mode, you shouldn't expect a 100% hit rate. At anything more demanding than a leisurely cycling pace along a straight line, the A57 can struggle to accurately predict subject position at relatively close range."

The OP is welcome to prove them wrong.

Well if you're going to capture the review and quote it here to nullify your lack of personal experience and ownership of the A57, make sure you capture the entire gist of it so it can be taken in proper context.

Here's is the next paragraph, after what you neglected to quote.  The entirety of the text on autofocus speed can be found here-Source:  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-slt-a57/10

QUOTE:

"We don't want to be too harsh though. As you can see in the sample above, for everyday use - and in comparison to its DSLR peers - the A57's AF is more than capable. We would simply caution that while it has a frame rate that nearly matches a pro DSLR like the Canon EOS-1D X, other factors like advanced predictive tracking, customizeable AF modes and not least, the ability to view the live scene (versus the image you've just captured) while shooting are just as important for those who photograph fact action for a living."

Now I want you to think about this.  They say they don't want to be too harsh, but yet they proceed to be.  And how do they do that?  By making a odd backhanded comparison to a Professional DSLR (link to body only LOL) that costs over 13X the price of the A57.  By anybody's standards that's quite a leap.

And while we're quoting the review, lets go to the final paragraph of "The Final Word" on the last page:

QUOTE:

"At its core, the A57 is a well put-together compendium of Sony's technology advances since the introduction of the A55 two years ago. This makes it a solid and proven performer for anyone stepping up to a DSLR from a compact camera or ILC, and one that concedes little in terms of either value or performance to its competitors from Canon, Nikon and Pentax. We'd love a touch-sensitive screen and a more sensibly articulated LCD (and the OLED EVF from the A65/77 would be lovely) but the A57 is an excellent camera at a compelling price, and as such it earns our top honor, the Gold Award. "

As someone who has owned several Canon and Sony DSLRs in the past 10 years or so, I can assure you focus speed is quite adequate, particularly at this price point.  And with the high fps and excellent buffer depth/write times you can have the occasional out of focus shot here and there to spare and still come out way ahead.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow