Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,091Gear list
Like?
Re: Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Apr 12, 2013

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

I believe consumer demand for performance is increasing more slowly than camera capability.

You could say the same thing about automobiles.  People do not typically buy the least, smallest they will typically use - instead they buy for what they want to be doing.

I'm not talking about people buying the bare minimum camera they need.  I'm talking about people buying what they want to be doing with a camera--same as always.  Car size is not analogous to camera size since there's a tangible benefit of large size on a car (more cargo room).  For a camera (and lens), size is always something you want to minimize.

| When 8" drives were the established technology and 5.25" drives began competing, 8" drives were superior in capacity, speed, and latency.

8" drive platters were in washing machine or refrigerator sized cabinets - not the same market at all (poor analogy).

It's an perfect analogy with exactly the same type of tradeoff.  The point is people who wanted more performance put up with the larger machines.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow