Nikon FF v APS-C image comparison

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,364Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't jump to conclusions......
In reply to Rod McD, Apr 12, 2013

I agree with you Rod.  It's all very good, and there's something out there for everyone's needs/wants.  I often ask myself that very question, do I need even APS-C.  I like that format very much actually, being a compromise in both price and characteristics for my budget and liking.  Would I like FF better ? I would if... it didn't cost more than APS-C today, didn't require a larger body or larger lenses.  Therefore with today's technology, APS-C remains MY sweet spot (again, can't speak for others and won't argue with those who have a different need / want).  Sometimes I feel I'd be happy with a single camera+fix lens like the X100s IF... it had the performance of a DSLR, but the technology has yet to come a long way in that regard.  IQ is there as long as it's APS-C with a good lens, but I am no fan of contrast detect AF.  Not so much because of its speed, but rather its relative randomness of where it chooses to focus (that is with both my K-01 and EX-1).  With my old K10D, I can nail a hummingbird at 150 yards... good luck with CDAF, you'll get it... eventually but it needs more effort (focus peaking etc.).  Then there the lack of buffer, shutter lag etc. all of which makes me prefer a DSLR for it performance at this time.  The future might be different.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow