Senior MemberPosts: 1,461Gear list
Like?
Re: To go full frame or not?
In reply to captura, Apr 12, 2013

captura wrote:

eilivk wrote:

captura wrote:

eilivk wrote:

Have read again and again (and ag...), you don't need FF if you don't need wall sized prints. No need for that. But with FF you can crop more in PP? Going from compact to G3 and NX with 20 and 30mm, doing small prints was the chance to crop more. So I would guess the same goes for moving up to FF. Without a lot of heavy lenses. RX1 is very tempting.

For years struggled with low light, tripod did not help much for compacts, better with mirrorless. Often finding abandoned houses and factories. In museums you can't use flash and seldom tripod. Maybe you can get the same detail and quality of colour in low light with Nikon A, the best Fujis, OM-D as RX1, but I really doubt it. See what I see of images in Cybershot forum.

A lot COULD be happening with FF, Nex 9 seems to be most likely. Very interesting, but the cost of lenses... RX2 with EVF for the same price would be nice. Or larger with a non interchangeable zoom lens? Know quite a few people not going into "all those lenses". A lot could be happening this year or the next - and a lot of images could be lost before that.

To FF or to APS-C, that is the question. Common sense should dictate that the best (and efficacious) solution is to employ the best lens you can afford. And that nearly equal results can be gained with an APS-C system. Maybe one of those uber-bodacious Nikon planar-II lenses.

Could afford a $1500 30mm or something like that if that is necessary. But Nikon cameras got no EVF (that I need). NX or Nex maybe? But would these lenses be as good as the one in RX1? And isn't a fixed lens the best solution for maximum quality? Especially with a FF sensor? NX and Nex nearly equal to RX1? In difficult conditions? Not entirely convinced.

From a different discussion (yesterday...maybe it was Sergei) those particular lenses (Nikon planar-II) are about the highest performing lenses which will work with the Metabones Speedbooster to adapt to the NEX e-mount system. For example, if you were to choose the 85mm model, that would give you an approximately 65mm 35-equivalence of the most totally superior quality imaginable...far far better than a 24mm Zeiss or a 10-18. Mind you, very expensive. But why bother with the Zeiss when you can have this.

Thanks! But can't find any Nikon Planar II 85mm when I search the net. But a Nikon 85mm 1.4 for $1500. With a Metabones Speedbuster and a Nex 6, would it not be larger and almost the same price as RX1? But of course with EVF and you can change lenses. And 65mm 35-equivalence could be fine for landscapes but not for street photos, so two lenses.

Maybe an alternative is Nikon A + a 50 or 75mm Sigma or others. Two small cameras. Maybe would not give the same quality. But for a beginner easier to handle. More cameras of this type will come, but not with EVF, of maybe with pop-up EVF? The problem is not lack of alternatives, rather the opposite? Smaller APS-C and FF, high price at first and when you wait something more is happening.

eilivk's gear list:eilivk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Ricoh CX4 Sony RX1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow