Most Compact 1.4 Lenses (with Adapter Included)?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?
Re: Most Compact 1.4 Lenses (with Adapter Included)?
In reply to Louno, Apr 12, 2013

Louno wrote:

Is there something around 50mm that has decent quality wide open and is very compact ?
I'm mostly interested in legacy lenses because they are much cheaper, but i'm curious about more modern lenses too.

The most compact lenses you will find are Rangefinder lenses. As already proposed the Voightlanders are the cheaper, You have the 35mm f/1.2, 35mm f/1.4, 40mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.5. But of course you have a couple of Zeiss with Leica M mount, I think it is a 50mm 1.5, and of course you have very expensive Leica lenses.

In the used market (cheap) you have a Russian Jupiter 3 50mm 1.5 with LTM (L39 or M39) mount. You also have a 50mm f2.0, the jupiter -8, also in LTM mount. Not as fast, but more common. The problem with Russian lenses are that there are many lemons, and also are quite bad completely open. You end up buying many to get a good copy.

And you have some Olympus pen lenses, that are actually not rangefinders, but are very small (cause the system was a half frame one and could have the lens closer to the film:

38mm f/1.8

40mm f/1.4

42mm f/1.2

and 60mm f/1.5 (very interesting for portraits)

Those are the most compact lenses. After that, the most compact DSLR lenses are the Konica 40mm f/1.8 and minolta 45mm f/2. But these are not as fast, and already bigger. not by much, but they are.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow