Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Riki
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
D800 video and tripod dilemma
Apr 12, 2013

I am awaiting my D800 and in the meantime was wondering if I would need a video tripod for shooting video on it. I also have a dedicated camcorder the Panasonic TM900 for video . I would be taking both the D800 and the Panny out on trips and ideally they both would be sharing the same platform.

My question is should I look for a dedicated video tripod, 2 pipe with a middle spreader and a dedicated fluid head, if yes, then which one?

or

would I be able to use any of the three Gitzo photo tripods I own, viz 2220, 1128 and 1228 and just buy a video head. If so then which video head would you recommend.

I already have an Arca Swiss Z1 and the Novoflex Magic Ball but I don’t suppose they would be suitable for shooting video pan and tilt etc.

Video shooting with a DSLR is a evil which cannot be ignored and is a feature which is going to be developed in all formats of digital photography, IMHO. Hence the dilemma as was wondering if I have to invest in a new system again.

Thanks for all suggestions and thoughts.

Riki's gear list:Riki's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow