Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
limbonaut
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
OM-D and NEX-6 user comparison.
Apr 12, 2013

A bit of background.  I've owned many film and digital cameras including DSLRs,  mirrorless and compacts.  I'm an enthusiast and not a professional.  I don't do standardized tests but have informally tested many cameras and lenses in the same settings for many years so I have a good basis to draw at least general conclusions about gear.

I suspect that many of my fellow forum-mates here agonize in the same way I do about the gear they use and probably do so far too much.  I strive to get the best gear and to get the best out of my gear and spend the time to do that.  However, I also have budgetary limits.

I've bounced back and forth between the m43 and nex since they started.  Mirrorless started for me with the GF1 and went to the nex-5, 5n, then to the om-d and then to the nex-7. I went back to the om-d about a year ago.  I usually maintain a dslr system but have decided to go fully mirrorless and the lens selection and image quality of the om-d let me do that. (Wireless flash was also a necessity that the omd met).

The omd is great camera with some significant flaws that first had me back to the 7.  Its just hard to hold and the buttons are not pleasant.  It's "feedback" sucks for me. It just doesn't feel right for the high end camera it is in spirit.  I liked the 7 but was unhappy with the high iso performance and the nex focusing speed was a shadow of the omd. So back to the omd, but the problems still lingered.  Just bought some nex-6 kit to test head to head with the omd.

If anyone wants to see or know something specific  let me know but my sense so far is to keep the omd.  Despite the reports, the nex focusing speed had not improved that much with pdaf and its not as good as the omd.   High iso difference is just not there.  In fact in some settings it's the same or in favor of the omd.

I have the nex 50mm, kit zoom, 55-220.   Oly 45, pana 14-45 and oly 40-140.

ill post some comparison photos tomorrow.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow