Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,040Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm not convinced...
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 12, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I had a go at something like that here (click on "show signature" to see the entire post; I made a mistake of including a dashed line and ... ).

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50462878

Not saying that's ideal in all regards but that was what I could manage.

Well, based on those samples, the EM5 has the clear edge.

For my personal/wants needs, there aren't a whole lot of pictures that would benefit from (or "tolerate") much less DoF than I get when I shoot my fast MFT primes (12/2, 20/1.7, 45/1.8, 75/1.8) wide open, although as you know I am less fond of background blur with very fast WAs than you are. That said, exceptions do of course exist. See example below.

Ironically, I think shallow DOF with UWA is "da bomb":

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38116367

Yes, I know. I think you are an excellent photographer and you generally have stylistic ideals that I think are close to my own, but the shallow DoF effect does not work for me in most of those images although there might be a few exceptions.

To that end, I think it would be interesting to see a comparison with competently processed photos.

P.S.:  I think the EM5 would come out significantly ahead in situations where it could use IBIS and a longer shutter speed and FF could not use a tripod.

And, yes, don't forget the awesome IBIS in the EM5.

I am not since I strongly appreciate it. In all fairness though, you can get IBIS with FF too if you get yourself an A99 (although I am not sure whether the efficiency matches that of the E-M5). And below is an example of an image that we have discussed before where an FF-camera with IBIS would beat the E-M5 with IBIS. As you can see, this is with the 12 mm at f/2 and 0.4 s. But the scene is sufficiently far away that one could have used a 24/1.4 on FF and still have sufficient DoF.

Thing is, though, that at such wide apertures, the corners suffer.  So, for low light wide aperture photography where corners matter (e.g. astrophotography), FF still has ample room for improvement.

That might be the case yes. Another serious consideration in some cases might be vignetting. Although the Canikon fast 24s are pretty impressive for what they manage even wide open if I recall correctly, particularly since f/1.4 at that FL must be really challenging in terms of lens design.

And no, tripod-friends, a tripod would not have helped here. I was standing on a staircase that was constantly vibrating due to the traffic on the bridge to which it was connected.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow