Nikon FF v APS-C image comparison

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't jump to conclusions......
In reply to rogerstpierre, Apr 12, 2013

Hi,

Roger, a rhetorical question or two -  why don't you sell your APSC camera and buy a 16mpx compact?  Who needs APSC?

I think we need to be really careful of the argument that says "well it's only an X% increase in sensor size, the mpx are the same, so all this talk of IQ improvement is overrated, and it's not worth the expense".  If that were true, then it applies at smaller sensor sizes too.  You can easily imagine a Micro Four Thirds user using the same argument to say that he shouldn't go to APSC.  And then you can imagine a 1" user using the same argument to say that he shouldn't go to MFT (etc, etc). There is a wide and gradual range of sensor sizes (for any given mpx) and each is a modest step up from the last.  If you applied this argument at each step up, no increase in sensor size would be worth it - which is obviously absurd.  As a technology scales up, one sometimes has to be satisfied with incrementally smaller improvements, but perhaps they're still worth having.

To me, the question is exactly that - are they worth having?  Where do we individually set our preferences about resolution, enlargement, and print IQ?  There are only personal answers to this question - no right ones - and at least part of the reason for that is that we all have different desires, different budgets and different intentions for our photography.

This isn't new......I'm reminded about my film days.  Dedicated users of the best 35mm equipment would scoff at the concept of buying into medium format.  They would produce all sorts of arguments about their satisfaction with their large prints.  Leica owners would proudly say that they'd blown them up to six foot by four foot and they looked great.......  But none of it, except their own satisfaction with their own prints, was true.  Side by side, medium format won the IQ battle hands down.  And large format beat that hands down.  (Obviously this is for photography where all formats could be used - in my case landscape prints.  Larger formats certainly had their limitations eg poor for portability, sports and wildlife, exactly where 35mm had its strengths).

Plus, there may be other reasons for considering FF as I suggested in my earlier post in this thread.  (eg Higher resolution sensors of the same photosite density, better DR, DOF control, TS lenses, better VFs, etc).

It is all food for thought though......a good and timely discussion

Cheers,

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow