Looking for a P&S compliment to my E-M5, advice please.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Boutilier
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for a P&S compliment to my E-M5, advice please.
In reply to S. Miller, Apr 12, 2013

Steve,

The RX100 interface is pretty minimalist by today's standards.  While I don't own an LX7 or XZ2 the reviews suggest they have much more extensive customization available.

While the RX100 has fewer controls and options, it is a two dial camera with a nice quick menu system that allows fast changes of mode, shutter speed, iso, aperture, exposure compensation etc either directly with the dials or with one step of indirection that quickly changes the function of a dial.  It's actually pretty fast and intuitive.

If you really want a pocketable P&S complement the RX100 has a lot going for it.  It's smaller, lighter, more pocketable, and much faster into action with its auto lens cap and fast startup time.  Bigger sensor and higher resolution don't hurt either but  there are some lens trade offs as a result.

Guess overall I'd say the biggest difference is speed and pocketability vs faster creative control and more extensive customization.  All are great cameras in their own way.  Depends on your priorities.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Jim

Jim Boutilier's gear list:Jim Boutilier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow