A conversation

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Senior MemberPosts: 5,949Gear list
Like?
Best us of capital?
In reply to deleted080512, Apr 12, 2013

I started out decades ago as an auto mechanic. You needed your own tools to get any worthwhile jobs (plus skills, knowledge, etc). $20k in tools or more was needed to be 'fully equipped'. You would make that in a year.  Today you can make more - but then tools cost more these days too.

Photography..sure, you can do some work with a mediocre body and one lens...but if you want to make a living you need multiple pro bodies good glass, flash, a studio even if it's in your garage. $30k? 40K? You can make that in a year as income.

But what if you could do something else with that $40k? You could open a pizza shop maybe, lawncare, snow removal business, maybe a hair salon. My wife opened her psychotherapy biz for under $3500 (that includes the rent and marketing before any income started coming). She's only doing it part time and since the OH is $500/month and her time she's gonna make back her investment within 5 months of opening (as opposed to a year in the above scenarios). Now she's got 60k invested in an education...

Yes, it's great to follow your passion, turn your hobby into your career - but what if that won't pay enough to live on, in the style you'd like to? I guess people can be passionate about accounting or working at a toll booth...

You can invest in the stock market, a savings account or yourself. Self employment means self determination.

-- hide signature --

Vision without execution is hallucination. T. Edison.
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Kit?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow