Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,053Gear list
Like?
Re: Rethinking 4/3 Depth Of Field
In reply to KenBalbari, Apr 12, 2013

KenBalbari wrote:

al_in_philly wrote:

Of course, I could shoot FF at 2.8, but then I'd also be shooting at an ISO of 12800 for the same shutter speed.  Even as good as FF images are, the OM-D at 1/4 the ISO will always look better.

Is this true though?

I think it is true as a statistical generalization when comparing sensors of different sizes, not just MFT versus FF. As long as you look at SNR from the midtones up, the difference will pretty much conform to the one we would expect based on the principles of equivalence. But read noise will tend to favor the smaller sensors so that the difference in DR/shadow noise will be slightly less than we would expect on the basis of the area difference.

Currently, the best MFT sensor will beat all but a few (D4 and 6D excepted) of the current FF cameras if DoF is held constant so that the FF camera has to use two stops higher ISO. The difference is not large but it's there. And it's not really that the E-M5 sensor is unusually good technically. It's rather that those we had before were not state of the art.

At the moment, it appears to be true with the OM-D, but that's only because of the efficiency of that Sony sensor.  In the past, on other 4/3 and m4/3 models it has been otherwise, there has been more than a 2 stop ISO difference in some cases.  Even now though, is there much difference in these samples?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow