Would you buy D7100 again?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you buy D7100 again?
In reply to herbymel, Apr 11, 2013

I've had the camera since 3/18, and shot mostly drifting and dogs, though also some landscape and product pics.  Had the D7000 before.

Would I buy the D7100 again?

I'd buy a second one if I had the money!  24MP and no low pass filter are a sight to behold, provided you have quality lenses to take advantage of them, and are patient enough to fine tune those lenses.  The camera is sharper, faster, and has more accurate colors and more dynamic range than the D7000.  Sure, it may not be a huge leap in high ISO noise (some say even a step backwards... somehow), but the grain pattern is more consistent and color noise more subdued.  Not to mention, being able to resize 24MP instead of 16MP creates its own noise reduction through interpolation.  Also, the ability to crop deep into  low ISO pics is invaluable for me when shooting sports.  Not to mention the improved AF and crop mode (if absolutely necessary). Lots of other little improvements here and there, but those stand out the most.From the first shot I took with the camera, I was in love with its rendering.

The only negative would be banding when you push the shadows too far.  They almost disappear when resizing, and are all but invisible at standard web size   I'll be doing some profiling with Neat Image this weekend, so that should be able to remove the pattern noise, though who knows how it will affect the detail.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow