Continuation: Sensor Size, Present & Possibilities

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,051Gear list
Like?
Re: Most men are nothing but machines for turning food into waste
In reply to Ermac, Apr 11, 2013

Ermac wrote:

Oh I've studied the history of photography alright, I know all about photo manipulation before computers...

Then your rant was intentionally myopic.

I also know what Siegfried Kracauer said, do you?

Nope. Name dropping does not impress.

And I can squeeze photo's that sell out of a hundred dollar P&S, which means I don't appreciate sensor size or gear snobs .

That suggests this is a poor place for you to hang out.  Ever hear about the sports photographer who was challenged to shoot a baseball game with a box brownie?   He produced a number of publishable images.  But for some reason he went back to his regular gear.

I also think it's funny that these 'top notch reviews' always show poor results from P&S camera's while my real life photos from even cheaper cameras at 100% look one hell of a lot better.

I thought the point of review samples were to demonstrate what the camera will produce in typical usage, not the skills of the reviewer under deadline pressure.  I'm sure they have better work as well but it may not be appropriate or timely enough for a camera review.

As for 30 years ago, I was 10. And I was contemplating the photos in National Geographic. I was also being taught to draw and paint

So you displayed your work on the 'fridge door or on the walls of your room. Maybe even in a local school art show.  How long would the average person look at it?

but hey what do I know after 30 years of studying light and color?

Not how to write an intelligent critique of modern vs. "classic" photography.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow