How good is the X100S?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,401Gear list
Like?
Re: How good is the X100S?
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 11, 2013

Again, not trying to argue. Some questions

I don't know what you mean by "rough."  Even images that appear to have originated spontaneously are actually quite calculated (and also after the fact through editing), such as the work by photographers such as Winogrand and Frank.

Agreed

But in all of their images the viewer has something to latch onto.  Something that draws them to the image in the first place.  The images that you have placed before us (and it's all we have to work with) are just too chaotic (for the lack of a better term) to anchor our mind's eye.

I can see that for the shot of people walking toward me - I should have cropped it to get the focus on the guy with the Detroit cap. But the other two I don't get this for. That's not to say they are good photos! But just want to understand what you mean by this.

I honestly don't know why I'm looking at these images and why I should be looking at them.  What am I supposed to be looking at here?  And I mean this in the literal sense.  My mind's eye gets bewildered.  And my mind's eye tells me it's not about chaos itself because there clearly has been an attempted to try to make me look at something, but I don't know what exactly it is supposed to be.  It's like someone trying to speak a language that they don't quite know and it's coming out garbled to the listener.

You'll never bite my head off, don't worry.  I hold the MFA degree and teach at a university art department. I've been through decades of formal critiques both as a student and later as a mentor.  You learn to be tough skinned but it also makes you work hard to improve your craft.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow