Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,103Gear list
Like?
Re: Reality check check
In reply to Just Having Fun, Apr 11, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

My bet is the RX100 lens is still much cheaper to make.

That's likely, but your thousands estimate was way off.

Also, in checking DxO and other sites, I see the RX100 and new Canon 6D FF camera have the same DR at ISO100.   Overall there is not ALWAYS a 2.7 stop difference.

For equating lens apertures, use the "low light ISO" score as max aperture is most relevant in lower light.

FYI, current Canon sensors are non-linear at low ISOs which hurts the base ISO DR.  If you use the equiv Sony sensor in the RX1, the DR difference at base ISO is 1.9 stops. YMMV.

Maybe, but in real life is there is not a noticeable difference,

That depends on your life, e.g. ever shoot volleyball in a high-school gym?  Birds at dusk?  Models in a garage lit by torchlight?  The people I know who have switched to FF are photo enthusiasts who make trips just for the photography.  They shoot more types of things than just day-to-day life.

Other factors are more important.

YMMV.  I'm pointing out the differences - evaluating the significance is a personal decision.

If you check the Sony, NEX and other mirrorless forums you will see post from people selling off their FF cameras every day.

You also see many more posts on "moving up to FF"  in multiple forums.

Except in a few years mirrorless went from 0% to over 40% in counties like Japan.

Any growth from 0% looks impressive - DSLR sales grew as well, more in total units but less in percentage as the base level was already high.

You can't look at only a few months of data.

That graph shows 4 years of data averaged over the entire year.

As anyone here will tell you, cameras without a mirror are cheaper to make, and CDAF is more accurate than PDAF for the kind of focusing 90% of camera users do.

I use both NEX and DSLRs, but I'm not part of that 90% as I get similar accuracy.  I recommend NEX to people who want smaller but capable and like EVFs (but not if they want to shoot a lot of wetlands birds.) Then again, I've been using PDAF systems since 1990 and understand many of the quirks/limitations.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow