Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JolieO
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,697
Like?
Noob DIY Upgrade Questions
Apr 11, 2013

Okay, not totally a noob but not too saavy on H/W.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100.  Last year I added a solid state boot drive and an extra storage drive with the help of the good people on this forum.  I now want to add another storage drive and another optical drive and some more RAM.  I have enough SATA ports and bays to add the drives but need an extra SATA power connector.  Looking at cables on the internet confused me quite a bit.  Is it better to use an extender that plugs into an existing SATA power connector and adds a couple more or should I get an adapter cable that plugs into one of the available four pin connectors and ends in a SATA power connector?  Or does it not matter at all?

Right now I have 3 RAM bays of 2 each slots with 2 GB memory chips in each.  I only want to add 4 GB of RAM.  The proper terminology for the current config is 6 DIMMS Tri Channel SDRAM 1333mhz.  I have 12 GB of RAM currently and all of the slots are filled.  I assume they would have to be changed out in pairs.  Is that correct?

Probably the most important question of all is when do I have to start worrying about my power supply.  It's 525 watts.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce 310 video card which I don't plan on upgrading probably ever.  The 2 optical drives would be used infrequently.  I would end up with an ssd and 3 hhd with my planned upgrade.

Sorry for my awkward use of terminology.  If more info is needed, please ask.

Regards,

Jolene

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow