How good is the X100S?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,642Gear list
Like?
Re: How good is the X100S?
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 11, 2013

I'm going to respond to the thread here and not to anyone specifically, but please know that although I am going to keep it somewhat cool here, I do aim to demean several of you.

The X100S is clearly the "technical" winner between the two, for a variety of reasons. Some of them are: White Balance, color accuracy, resolution, and handling. That still does not mean you have to like it better than the original X100, or even your bloody cell phone.

So many people, however, who decided to stick with their original X100 for WHATEVER reason they chose, like to knock the new S and deny it's obvious improvements. Those people become transparent, and the behavior is indicative of someone who does't want to buy the new model and is looking for ways to convince themselves that it is flawed or not an improvement. You folks, you know who you are, are just silly, misleading, and inaccurate in your rhetoric.

Personally, and this is my own opinion, I prefer the X100S for it's handling and bought it on that note alone. Well worth it to me. I would have been happy with the same X100 sensor because I loved it and NEVER had an issue with IQ. I do appreciate the technical IQ enhancements of the X100S however, and the resolution is fantastic. The thing that is a trade off in my opinion, is the crispness of the S vs the dreaminess of the original. I understand that those are not technical terms, but those who have spent some time with both will know what I am speaking about.

There is a time and place for everything, and I would be lying if I didn't admit that I miss the original X100 footprint from time to time depending on the particular situation, but not enough to carry or even keep both cameras.

In fact, one thing that I like about my Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 is that it is not crisp like the X100S. With that lens on a fuji or on my GXR or on a Leica, I get a dreamy, not technically IQ oriented photograph, which I adore in certain situations.

So look, I get it when it comes to the personal opinions as to the rendering of each camera and it's particular footprint, but the naysayers and especially the lobotomized few that think they can get the same quality out of a cell phone are really just making fun of themselves in the open here.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow