Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CMC123
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Canon 5D Mark II focus question
Apr 11, 2013

In general, what do people advise for focal points with the 5D Mark II for portraits?  I have been using the individual auto focus points instead of the "All focal points"  or the Center FocalPpoint (Lock Focus and re-compose) and I have been disappointed with the amount of photos that are sharp and crisp.

When I take portraits, I make sure the focal point is on the eye of the subject, and I use a shallow depth of field, so it really matters to me.  I will take several photos of the same exact pose, and maybe only one or two will be crisp and clear on the eye.

I wondered at first if it was camera shake, but upon further examination while zooming in on the photos that weren't crisp, I noticed the the precise focal point may have shifted from the subject's eye to the subject's shirt, etc, and  that is why the eye isn't crisp and sharp -- when neither of us have moved from the pose.

SO --  I am wondering... do those who do Portaits with the 5D Mark II and a shallow depth of field... which manner of focus points do you use to get consistent, clean crisp photos... that accurately focus on the part that you want it to?  (Manual focus is not the best option for me).  Thank you!

Or should I just save up and buy the Mark III?  I have heard that people are less than happy with the Mark II's auto focus function, and I am wondering if this may be part of it?  Or user error

Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow