Panasonic GX1 or E-PL2?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: Best to pick EPL5 for great price and better IQ over GX1
In reply to marike6, Apr 11, 2013

marike6 wrote:

If you have any interest in video at all, the GX1 is a excellent choice.  There is even a hack for the Panasonic GX1 (similar to the GH2 Hack).  It will increase the bit-rate which in turn will give you clearer, more artifact free video.

For stills, I don't think there is enough of a jump IQ wise, however, to warrant a change in body. The GX1 has slightly better high ISO ability and the EPL2 has superior color depth, if you go by DxOMark Sensor Ratings.  Both have fairly average to mediocre DR performance, but unless you spend a lot of time post processing of RAW files (i.e., pushing shadows or pulling highlight, tweaking files), I don't think the DR performance of either body will matter all that much in day to day shooting.

I am a fan of the GX1 and it is a great time to buy one as they are discounted quite heavily.  But buying "Body Only" kits is not the way to go.  You'll get a much better deal if you find a GX1 with 14-42 PZ X.  I've seen GX1 / 14-42 PZ X Vario kits on Ebay, brand new in the box for $475.  Now that's a great deal considering the lens sells for around $325 new, and the GX1 / 14-42 PZ X kit is currently listed on B&H for $699.

All that said, if you are looking for a dramatic increase in IQ over your E-PL2, you should consider getting either a G5 (which has the advantage of a nice quality EVF built in) or an Olympus E-PM2 or E-PL5.  Both the G5 and EPM2 have some very real improvements IQ-wise with superior DR vs the GX1 / E-PL5.

Good luck and happy shooting, Markus

I would agree that the EPL5 is the way to go for better IQ in low noise in low light. The store in my area of Toronto has it on sale at 529. with kit lens and it originally started at 699. as I remember.

To poster: I would sell your EPL2 with kit lens privately for about 250 and buy EPL5 and keep the better of the 2 MSC kit lens you have.

Panasonic released new GF6 which looks like a cross between Olympus EPM2 (silver top) and EPL5 with tilt screen, but the EPL5 likely has better IQ in DR and Olympus colour and jpeg engine and IBIS.

Amazon has EPL5 ($549) ranked number 4 in Compact System Cameras best sellers list, with Sony Nex 6 in number 1 seller and Panasonic GX1 in number 6 seller (even with low price of 275. for body). More people preferred EPL5 over GX1 on Amazon, at least currently.

EPL5 with similar image quality to OMD-EM5 at about half the price (EM5 a great camera but for some the attractive price and quality IQ / IBIS of EPL5 is sufficient for most people without extra EM5 weather features and multi axis IBIS and also EPL5 is more compact for daily use.)

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow