Started Apr 11, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Penny123
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
D90 white balance/colour balance?
Apr 11, 2013

I got a refurbished D90 last week and have spent my last few outings with it trying to get it set up so it is preducing images I am happy with.  I have came from a D40 which I love as the images produced were so easy and so beautiful.  I am loving using the D90 for the quick controls on the body and coming from 2.5 frames ps I got a fright at how quick the continuous shooting was.

I think for my jpeg outputs I am settled on sharpness: +5, saturation: +1 and brightness: -1.

I was out yesterday and shooting in pretty overcast condition with not much life around and I took some shots of my dog, getting home they looked pretty lifeless but I didn't like to adjust the saturation any more so I played around with the camera and edited the colour balance of the image, I moved it one little point to the right.  What a different, the image now looked so much better and to my taste.  I did this with my landscape shots also and it worked just as well.

Playing around with the camera some more I discovered the white balance could be adjusted so much more and thought I had found my solution.  The little grid that appears for adjusting the white balance is exactly the same grid that appears for adjusting the colour balance.  I thought it would be as easy as going out today and setting the white balance one notch to the right (just as I did with the colour balance).  This is where I am a little confused, I shot in a variety of auto white balance, auto with one to the right and then with 2 to the right.  Selecting the image shot in auto 0 I then adjusted the colour balance one to the right and that image looks better.

I hope I am explaining this well but is the white balance and colour balance very different?  Perhaps I needed to use auto but even more to the right on the grid.  I am loving the camera but feel I can't really enjoy it until I get all my colours sorted out but so far in terms of colour accuracy I do prefer the D40.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D40 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow