Continuation: Sensor Size, Present & Possibilities

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,671Gear list
Like?
Most men are nothing but machines for turning food into waste
In reply to Ermac, Apr 11, 2013

Ermac wrote:

Does sensor size even matter now that photography is becoming a completely electronic medium?

Obviously it does or we would not have so many sizes to choose from.

Who prints anymore? I mean ink jets suck a

Go to a museum or gallery and look for work labeled "giclée".  Pretty much all serious large prints these days are made with in jets.

Besides, just about every photograph posted on the internet today, no matter how good or bad it is, is only veiwed for a few seconds before the viewer is on to the next one

I don't shoot for the "internet."  Just for fun, set the wayback machine 30 years (1983). How many people saw your work and how long did they look at it?

... And sites like this one are to blame.

I'd say sites like Flickr are to blame by offering an all you can eat buffet of images.

There's some great photography posted here but most people only care about what kind of camera or software was used not the actual photograph.

And if you read this site's "About us" what does it say? "Digital Photography Review's mission is to provide the most authoritative reviews of, the fastest, fullest news reports about, and the most comprehensive database of consumer digital cameras in the world,"

This site mostly about gear but there are other sites.

Then there's the question that always pops up in my head; is this real or PhotoShop?

If it's art, does it matter?  (BTW, manipulated photos are as old as photography itself.) If it's journalism, then you have to trust the chain of production.

So photography is dying, it's almost gone completely electronic, it's audience suffers from ADD and there's no credibility to it anymore... there used to be some truth in photography.

Ah, the "good old days" lament.  Study photography history, it's mostly in your mind.

Well digital just made it into a cheezy cliche'.

Photo cliche's come and go.  Study photography history.

turn into about as much value as what you dropped in the toilet this morning.

"Most men are nothing but machines for turning food into sh*t."

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow