My HS50/HS30 EXR - Getting The Best IQ ...

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,868Gear list
Like?
My HS50/HS30 EXR - Getting The Best IQ ...
Apr 11, 2013

... I have spent the last couple of days doing some testing to try and figure out why some images on the HS50 EXR (and also the HS30 EXR) are showing loss of colour acuity, colour bleed and also loss of detail. In other words, how can I get the best IQ.

I shot three separate scenes and have chosen one to illustrate my points. All the original HS50 EXR and HS30 EXR images (Jpegs) are available in the links at the bottom of this post. They have simply been renamed to show the settings. Feel free to do what you wish with them.

This is in three parts and each part will follow on from this post.

Some observations, before I start :

• I have the HS50 EXR and also the HS30 EXR and I did these tests with both. I am only showing HS50 EXR results here as both cameras produced very similar results. In some instances, the HS30 EXR gave marginally better results, and vice versa. In other words, there is little between them - IQ wise. (Mind you, as I shoot Raw + Jpeg, having to wait for the HS30 EXR to finish writing before I could make any setting changes really started to pee me off, especially as it was blazing hot !!)
  • The one size fits all approach of 'How to shoot an EXR camera' is categoric rubbish. I have the F200 EXR, HS30 EXR, HS50 EXR and the X-E1. You cannot apply a blanket set of settings to all and hope to get good results. Each behaves differently. However, in the case of the HS30 EXR and the HS50 EXR similar settings can be adopted.
  • The DR engine on the HS30/HS50 EXR is flawed compared to other EXR cameras. This is a big disappointment for me as one of the main things that attracts me to FujiFilm cameras is the ability to adjust DR. Whilst I shoot Raw + Jpeg, I often simply use the Jpeg for edit purposes and I rely on being able to set DR to suit. Typically, DR 200%. As it stands now, the only DR setting I have any confidence with is DR 100% and appropriate EV compensation to suit.

HS 30 Test Images

HS 50 Test Images

-- hide signature --

Dave

Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DaveNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow