Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Help with using macro lens just purchased
Apr 11, 2013

Just bought a macro lens - Sigma 150mm f/2.8 APO Macro DG HSM. It is used, from Adorama, rated as E+.  It looks great, but I am not sure if it is me or the lens that is the problem.  This is my first ever macro!

Took some close-ups of small flowers on a houseplant, on my tripod, but without mirror-up or a remote.  So they are probably not optimally sharp.  My problems are primarily with the controls and with how far I should be from the subject.

When I put it on 0.38-0.52, it does not focus on the flower.  But if I first put it on Full or 0.52 to infinity, it will focus on the flower, then I can switch to 0.38-5.2 and it stays focused.  I started out very close, nothing seemed to work right, so I backed off to about a foot and it worked a lot better, as described above.

Also not sure what I am supposed to be doing with the ability to rotate the barrel to different distances/image ratios.

Here are some of the images:

Euphobia with new flowers.

Used flash for this one.

There are more examples on my gallery, did not want to take up too much room here with repetition!  The flowers range in size from 1/4" to 3/8".

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions/advice.

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow