E M-5 and lenses . Reason to be concerned?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,044Gear list
Like?
Re: In most conditions stabilisation is irrelevant
In reply to slimandy, Apr 11, 2013

slimandy wrote:

Anders W wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Anders W wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Anders W wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I assume he means the shutter speeds people most often use,

I figured that much. But which would you say those are? And where would you draw the borderline between those where IS is of help and those where it isn't?

I tend to use the old rule of thumb of keeping the shutter speed at the 135 format focal length and above. That works for me. I can go slower if I steady myself against a wall or tree, and I'll go faster for moving subjects. IBIS won't help for moving subjects, and even if I do use it I prefer to keep a sensible shutter speed when possible.

OK. Depending on the lens used, that implies that IS is of value, depending on the lens used, at all shutter speeds from 1/600 downwards (or even above 1/600 for those using "legacy" teles longer than 300 mm).

No, if I'm shooting with my standard lens onan OMD, 17mm I will try to shoot at min 60th/sec. I don't need IBIS at 60th or above.

Note that I said "depending on the lens used". Do you ever shoot longer FLs than 17 mm? And do you ever shoot static targets in low light with your WAs? I certainly do both.

Occasionally yes, but I tend to include people in the shots and people are not static.

No but in many low-light situations, they are not exactly jumping around either. I certainly appreciate shooting candid portraits with my 45/1.8 at 1/30. No way you can do that without IS.

I can shoot WA lenses at quite low speeds already.

This low?

There are some occasions where IBIS helps though. Like I said, I'd rather have it than not, I just don't see it as essential.

Personally, however, I have found IS to be of value considerably higher up the shutter speed range than the 1/EFL rule suggests.

First, this rule stems from an era where sharpness was inspected far less meticulously than it is today (because the prints we made were smaller and slides were usually viewed at some distance). I have seen quite a few people suggest that 1 / (2 x EFL) is more realistic if you are opting for tack-sharp results.

I find it is still a good rule of thumb. The only camera where I would want to be a stop faster (that I have used) is a D800. However, the high ISO performance on that body is so good that I would crank that up before using VR.

Second, the rule, whichever we choose, is not such that you will succeed on every trial. Rather, the point is that it gives you decent chances of success. If you go to a higher shutter speed than the rule suggests, your chances are even better but still not 100 percent. Keeping IS turned on improves the odds even further. At sufficiently high shutter speed, it simply acts as an extra safety net against mistakes or sheer bad luck.

True, but when I don't have it I rarely miss it until I statrt putting longer lenses on.

Given the choice I'd rather use a tripod but I rarely use one of those unless I know I'll need it.

Tripods are certainly nice. But even the smallest and lightest of tripods, if it's a "real" tripod are bulkier and heavier than an FF body. Kind of defeats the purpose of MFT in many cases to carry one, doesn't it?

Yes and no. I like the smaller format for macro and I tend to use a tripod for that. I also like to travel light but I have a very good quality tripod that is also small and compact. It is small enough to fit in the top of my camera bag because the lenses are so small. I use the Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini with a Benro ball head that is Arca Swiss compatable.

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-velbon-ultra-maxi-mini-d-tripod.htm

I have an even smaller mini-tripod in my camera bag pretty much all the time (Ultrapod II):

http://www.industrialrev.com/ultrapod-ii.html

But there are of course quite a few cases where that's too small/low, just like yours. The regular tripod I bought in the fall when my old Velbon broke down after some 35 years of faithful service is very light and small for what it is (Sirui T-1205X, 34 cm long without head when folded, 800 g without the head),

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SIRUI-T-1205X-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-G-10-Ballhead-/250618634791

but I wouldn't have it with me unless I had some specific goal in mind.

IBIS does help negate the need for a tripod, but it's not foolproof.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow