Like?
Re: D7100 Presents: Single Shot HDR
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 11, 2013

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

_sem_ wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

While there is clearly banding in the trees, it doesn't show up too strongly at 1600px across.  Nice composition.

Yep. Perhaps a touch-up with Dfine or Denoise would clean up the banding. Or one should revert to the D7000 for single-exposure HDR 

Nah, the D7100 definitely has more room for highlight recovery, and less splotchy chroma noise in shadows.   Not to mention the extremely accurate color reproduction (**drool!**).

From comparisons online, I think the "less splotchy chroma noise in shadows" is not documented for the D7100, but rather the opposite is seen to be the case.

Here is a D7100 (left) vs D7000 (right) comparison of shadow noise on just a 2EV push (From http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/2013/04/nikon-d5200-and-d7100-band-aid.html):

D7100 vs D7000

I think its readily apparent, at least to my eyes, that the shadow noise AND banding is visible in the D7100 and not the D7000.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Guess it depends on the situation.  Here's probably the best comparison image from my D7000:

1.  No NR

2.  Max NR possible in ACR

First image is processed the same way as the pic in the first post in this thread (very light chroma NR, no luma).  Second with a TON of noise reduction and color adjustment, including ACR moire reduction, which took almost 2 min to render in PS on my PC.  And my PC isn't a slouch (i7 2600K, GTX 570, 32GB RAM).  Still wasn't enough to fully quell the chroma noise, but much more usable.  Both are ISO 100 with major shadow lifting and highlight recovery.  By itself, the D7000 is very splotchy compared to how well behaved the D7100 was.  
Also, note that the D7100 pic is significantly cropped.  Here's the original vs crop:

Original vs Crop

Yeah, I'm pretty certain comparing two entirely different scenes probably isn't the most effective way to prove one's point.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow