Posting RAW photos to Web

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for your reply, Bob.
In reply to StevenN, Apr 11, 2013

StevenN wrote:

At least some people on this forum try to be helpful.

But I think what I really wanted to know is do RAW or, for that matter, Adobe RGB photos, have to be converted to sRGB before posting to the Web? And should I convert the photos before post-processing them, or convert to sRGB as a final step?

sRGB is what most monitor are able to display and display by default. Other color spaces like Adobe RGB photo RGB have much wide gamut which only a few screen  are able to display (not even the expensive Eizo ColorEdge  are able to display 100% of the Adobe RGB space). Although a few Internet browser are now able to apply color profiles to the pictures (like Firefox for instance), few people take the care to set it correctly. So the old rule of displaying any picture going to the web still hold.

It is better to keep your pictures in the largest gamut available untill the last stage. This means that you make all the needed adjustments in the widest gamut and convert to sRGB only right before exporting the picture to its reduced size for the web. Nowadays, using LR mostly, I keep my pictures in raw format and only export them to other format when I need it.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow