Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.
In reply to Clayton1985, Apr 11, 2013

Clayton1985 wrote:

I did read your whole post and I understand (at least I think I do).  The point that I was trying to make was that while I'm sure your data is accurate or at least accurate enough for your conclusion to be correct, I don't find that to be how it works in practice very often.  For me at least I'm either shooting on a tripod, shooting in A mode and have room to move shutter speed down with no adverse effects, or shooting in situations where shallower DoF is preferred.  This probably covers at least 85% of what I do.  The other 15% would potentially benefit from the scenarios that you show in your comparison resulting in the diminished advantage of FF.  I'm sure many others would have a very different percentage based on their typical use, and if so, they may find that APS-C is a better fit for their needs.

IMO, your comparison is most helpful when you know or at least have an idea how it would impact you.  It would be great if there was a tool that allowed the user to select the scenario that fit how they were going to use the camera and then showed how that would impact sensor performance between FF and APS-C.

Thanks.

My intention wasn't to imply that this would affect photographers most of the time, but that it can happen in certain situations (but not all) and how much of an impact could be expected from it.

In your case (as you explained), using a tripod or preferring a shallower DoF you may rarely run into this.  Others shooting styles may vary and may run into it more or less.  For me, I think I might run into it more than you since I tend to shoot more handheld while requiring deeper DoF in certain situations.  But I don't think the impact would be very large and the many other benefits of Full Frame still outweigh this.

A few members in the camera club I am in are experiencing this and it was of a recent discussion.  One person, our current club president, has been shooting Full Frame for a while (currently shoots with a D800e) and has a few work arounds for what they shoot (focus stacking is one of their methods).  Another person recently upgraded from an APS-C (a Rebel XT, I think) to Full Frame (the new 6D) and is just now discovering this in some of their shooting situations, completely unaware of the added differences other than the change in sensor size.  There is nothing wrong with it, it is just the learning curve is a little different.

I just felt it is was worthwhile to better understand how each sensor works.  By knowing that it is there, I can keep it in the back of my mind when shooting so I can better prepare and adjust my shooting techniques in varied situations.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow