Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,690
Like?
Re: I can already predict a response.
In reply to al_in_philly, Apr 11, 2013

al_in_philly wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I can already predict a response by some people likely to chime in here.

They will say that having shallow DOF at one's disposal is never a disadvantage, because if deeper DOF is desired, the aperture can always be stopped down a bit (while it cannot be "stopped up" to make the DOF more shallow than the lens wide-open on the sensor will allow).

And actually, that is a reasonably valid argument : having wider apertures (and shallower DOF) available is a benefit, even if it is not used all the time.

Roel,

You're probably right with your prediction.  But What I was trying to say is that being able to have a longer depth of field can be a benefit as well.  This is something I realized many years (decades) ago when I was shooting documentary films. The links included at the bottom of the page were put there to show that not only can 4/3 & m4/3 create a desirable bokeh, but often they can do so without losing most all detail which can be unavoidable with FF gear in certain situations.

I looked at your links and liked them.

The Corona shot was particularly nice.  Great use of DOF ! 

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow