A conversation

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ToddSC
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: A conversation
In reply to deleted080512, Apr 11, 2013

I'd say that the business side of the equation has gotten a lot more competitive and those photographers that were not very good businessmen are the fatalities.

There are a myriad of reasons for not being successful.  The fact that most of these friends are working other jobs indicates that they do not have enough sustaining work/revenue to continue to market their business.  And if you are waiting for work to fall in your lap then you have already given up.  Sure there are some that have that luxury but not many.  Chances are they put in the hard work building a client list years earlier.

Also I have seen a number of folks that think they need to have the latest/greatest in equipment to be a pro, so they spend a lions share of their profits on gear.  The equipment is a tool and needs to be used as an end to a means.  I still shoot with older gear but it still works and produces "sellable" images.

Many of the schools that are training photographers are doing a lousy job in training them to be a businessman.  I tell young students that rather than being a photography major, get an education in business with a minor in photography.

My 2 cents

ToddSC's gear list:ToddSC's gear list
Olympus XZ-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Kit?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow