EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,896Gear list
Like?
Re: Continuation: Sensor Size, Present & Possibilities
In reply to KLO82, Apr 11, 2013

KLO82 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

KLO82 wrote:

Time will come when it will be almost impossible to see the difference in image quality between FF and smaller sensor cams at prints of any size. The FF image quality will be better than small sensor cams by the same rate today, but our eyes and brains will not be able to see the difference, the difference in IQ will be academic only. But even then, for SLR users (assuming SLRs will not be obsolate) FF will offer brighter and larger viewfinders which is a big plus. And people who like to shoot with zoom lenses and love shallow DoF, FF will remain only option for them. People who like shallow DoF will not be interested to cameras with smaller than APS-C sensors (or may be 4/3 sensors). But I think larger than FF sensor cams will become extinct.

I don't necessarily agree with that. The key will not be to exactly match, but to compete well enough that it becomes a moot point to depend on larger sensor.

Actually i was saying the exact same thing: the difference between FF and smaller sensor will be same as today, but even the smaller sensors will have IQ better than some threshold level that the difference will not matter for practical purposes. So ppl will not buy the larger sensors for better IQ, but will buy for other reasons that I mentioned - larger viewfinder, easier to get shallower DoF etc.

The FF advantage of shallower DoF is primarily at the wider angles. Coincidentally, we're now entering a phase where even that can be faked, an area that is bound to grow.

IQ advantages will exist but largely irrelevant. View finder is no longer a key for me as I prefer EVF and matched performance on articulating LCD. Its getting better, and it is only a matter of time before the very existence of a mirror is a burden (as Olympus found out with its M4/3 cameras).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow