mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Discussion closed.
In reply to fotolopithecus, Apr 11, 2013

fotolopithecus wrote:

krikman wrote:

Don't worry guys.
I still have no D7100 at hand, but I have (A) window, (B) screen, (C) Nikon D300s.

Nikon D300s proven for absulutely no visuble artifacts.

ISO400. Exposition by left part. +5EV +recovered shadows. Bands is here.

The reason we found it in D7100 is because nobody pushed shadows that much in D300 because of noise.

Bravo Nikon! Just too low noise in shadow area!

Wasn't the OP's shot at 200iso, with +2 ? His D90 didn't seem to exhibit anything under the same conditions.

Yes, but the D90 was shot in the only recording mode it has, 12 bit lossy.  Krikman's D300 shots were recorded in 14 bit lossless mode.  On the D90/D300 generation sensors, this generates mostly just noise in those lower two bits.  What this image says is that the streaking effect is very small and mostly getting lost in the D300/D90 noise, which the D90 then just truncates (actually, the A/D conversion stops at the 12 bit level, but on the D300 it continues until the conversion -theoretically- settles out to 14 bits).  The D7000 and D7100/D5200 record normally in 14 bit mode and have significantly lower noise floor which mandates 14 bit (otherwise you'd get noise floor posterization).

One of the things I notice in this image is the lack of tonal shifts in the streaks.  By contrast, there is a definite red shift in the D7100 shots streaks - or perhaps I should say a green shift in the dark sections.

I've shot a couple of test images myself but haven't been able to induce streaking in my D90.  That doesn't say I did the test right, though.

The more interesting tests are Horshack's.  They reveal a noticeably worse streaking in the D7100 sensor than in the D7000, and almost no streaking in the full frame sensors - even the Canon, which has strong banding.  So there seems to be some correlation between sensor size and streaking robustness, but EXMOR sensors are not completely free of the effect.  It may be that the tonal shifts in the streaks in the D7100 are making the effect more obvious than in the D7000. And this might circle back to a consequence of the choices made in per-channel black clipping in each.

I'm not sure if it was Jack Hogan or Jim Pearce that said this, but whoever it was characterized the Toshiba sensor as "edgier"; that just like the D300 you needed to get exposure right or it could bite you.  The D7000 sensor is a remarkably forgiving sensor - it limits gracefully under pretty much all bizarre conditions that we can think up, which has conditioned us to expect the ability to do photographic contortions with our cameras on a whim.  The D7100 is more of a photographic gymnast - capable of fantastic things, but requiring more skill and control from the photographer, and often operating on the edge of disaster.

A bit florid, perhaps, but I enjoyed the metaphor. Or is it analogy?

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow