Mirrorless- Continuing to Under Perform

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,656Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless- Continuing to Under Perform
In reply to rattymouse, Apr 11, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote about the state of mirrorless camera sales and published the most recent data.

Mirrorless cameras continue to lose ground to SLR cameras.  The rate of increase of mirrorless sales does NOT match that of SLR's.   So not only is mirrorless not on pace to overtake SLR sales, they are in fact LOSING ground.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/panasonics-mirrorless-claim.html

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

A lot of sales is driven by perception. Some also seem to buy it by lb/$. Many think that pros use it, so they can be that. Then there is marketing. Personally to me, it is also the difference between people wanting a minivan or an SUV (wait, that is not a favored term anymore... let us call it Cross over) to commute. Some might want a sports car, with automatic transmission. They might prefer if the car also drive itself home.

Mirror-less ILCs are a relatively new mainstream offering. Previously, it was mainly a niche product. Yes, Leica and like held the flag, and with manual focus and such. So, a lot of development is due and it is happening. Panasonic and Olympus recognized why mirrored approach wasn't great for m4/3, so about five years ago, they adopted a strategy that has paid off. Note: five years. Three years ago, Sony took a larger sensor (APS-C) and created the NEX-line which is very successful. Note: three years. Fuji is targeting advanced users with its x-mount, not the typical mom and dad shopping at Walmart, Sams Club and Costco. Yes, I was at Costco a few weeks ago and played with D3200, D5200 and D600. I did see the 1-series as the lone at display mirror-less option.

And I had someone approach me last week, while taking photographs at a "Miracle League" baseball opener with a question: "That is an interesting looking DSLR, can I have a look at it?" It is Sony NEX which uses no mirror and isn't a DSLR, I told her. She got interested into it, but I told her that if she were planning to use the camera for such events (kids' soccer/baseball), she might want to look into DSLR/DSLT unless she were to accept the way I mostly use my camera: manual focus.

Although, with mirror-less, fast AF isn't much of an issue with smaller sensors. It is, currently, with APS-C (and likely will be with FF). Further development along the lines is in progress, something that will take further edge off DSLR-dom.

Did I say, 3-5 years?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow