Continuation: Sensor Size, Present & Possibilities

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,352Gear list
Like?
Re: Continuation: Sensor Size, Present & Possibilities
In reply to hjulenissen, Apr 11, 2013

hjulenissen wrote:

I assume that an ideal APS-C sensor camera could give similar results to an ideal FF sensor camera if "equivalent" lenses were available, at least to the point where total number of photons hitting the surface begins to be a problem.

What is it that limits manufacturers from releasing f/0.7 or larger aperture primes for smaller image circles like APS-C? Is it something fundamental about physics of light (I can't see how that would be), or is it only that it does not make economic sense to manufacture within the tolerances needed for such a lens on a sensor size (APS-C) that in many ways are targeted for those with less cash?*)

35mm lenses have been around for a while, and had a firm grasp in the market. APS-C gained prominence with digital, and not too long ago. I'm not aware of anybody mass-marketing f/0.7 lenses for FF either. You can find f/0.95 lenses, however, including those being developed for smaller sensors: SLR Magic's Noktor is available for mirror-less APS-C and m4/3 mounts, if you're willing to spend. Mitakon 35mm f/0.95 has been developed for Sony E-mount (NEX).

The question ends up getting to: Is there a market? If there is a market, could the lenses be shared? A FF lens can be used rather easily on these new small sensor mirror-less cameras, so is there an incentive to develop being exclusive, or is there an advantage in being inclusive. For this reason, see Nikon's lens lineup. Their APS-C cameras might be very popular, but parts bin sharing is key to their lens production.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow