a57 v d5100 for first DSLR

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,299Gear list
Like?
Re: a57 v d5100 for first DSLR
In reply to baloo_buc, Apr 11, 2013

baloo_buc wrote:

I agree with you. Most of the pluses (with the exception of flash commander) are irrelevant.

I shoot RAW ...

The thing is the OP is looking at purchasing an entry level interchangeable lens camera.  If the OP is like most people, then he'll probably shoot JPGs almost exclusively for quite some time. The points I was trying to make were directed to that kind of buyer; not to the RAW shooter using a FF camera.  And I do think you understood that intent.

and 11 AF points is plenty for me since I use just one at a time and the coverage is pretty good.

I use the camera where low light capability is mandatory so half a stop matters. The difference between crop sensors and full frame sensors is about 1.3 stops.

Regarding IBIS at least in Romania no-stabilized good Sony lenses are much more expensive as the VR versions of Nikon lenses.

Each camera has its strengths and weaknesses so the OP must decide which compromise is acceptable or not.

Exactly.  My first post spoke more to this point.

For a beginner there will be little difference and Sony may be more appealing since it has increased default contrast, saturation and sharpening.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow