ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ocean76
Regular MemberPosts: 216
Like?
do I need to use a speedlight for this type of still life photo
Apr 11, 2013

Hi,

I have a very old (mid 1900s) typewriter which I want to shoot.

I want to a side lightning hich hopefully would give the typewriter a dim, mystical and old effect but the thing is I am not very good at flash photography and lighting setup.

I am thinking to use just 1 simple table light (from a side) which has a bulb of 60 watt and 2700 kelvin...(soft light which will create a dim ambiance)

my equipment is:

1) nikon d7000
2) black background
3) 1 soft light from a side (60 watt and 2700 kelvin)
4) Multi-Disc Light Reflector for reflecting the light if I need to...
I just wanted to ask if this equipment is enough for my purpose or do I need sth else?

I also have a sb-600 nikon speedlight and 2 umbrellas with flash sync but I am not sure whether I need to use those also or is it useless for this purpose?

In fact, what I have to learn is:
to shoot a still life photo, if my lighting is powerfull like 500 w x 2 from both sides, do I still need a speedlight or the speedlight is only needed for the cases when the light is very dim.

Also can you pls recommend me a good book about still life photography (with flash..)
I have just bought the Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How tob Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image (Voices That Matter)

by Scott Kelby but I'll return it because the whole book is about the portrait shooting techniques and there is no info about still life photography.

thank you

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow