Like?
Re: Some "amusing" examples.
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 11, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

olliess wrote:

The classic use for fast wide angles is, to my knowledge, to get the low-light advantages. I can't imagine most people choosing a 24/1.4 to get isolation (although I'm sure there are exceptions).

Obviously, using such FL for DoF is rather amusing.

Ah, here we go:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38116367

Especially given how many of those photos were not taken in low light, most definitely for "amusement" purposes only, of course. 

Nice shots, but do you believe the separation can't be achieved with a 24mm f/1.8 or f/2 on APS-C, much less more separation than that?

Sure, but it's different -- 24mm f/1.8 on APS-C is equivalent to 38mm f/2.8 on FF.  Incidentally, that's one of the nice things about FF -- if 24mm f/1.8 on APS-C works well for you, then rather than being confined to a prime, you can get the same effect with a zoom on FF.  But I digress.

Well, that I agree with. FF have the edge at wider angles. My point had to do with DoF itself (not denying my own argument about wide angles and FF).

The point is that 24mm f/1.4 on FF gives rather a different look than 28mm f/1.8 on APS-C.  That's not to say that everyone should be shooting 24mm f/1.4 on FF because it's "better".  But it is to say that wide aperture UWA photography appeals to at least some for the DOF, not merely lower noise in low light.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow