What is the best digital camera for photographing fast moving objects? (sports, children, animals)

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 Series...
In reply to SystemAgnostic, Apr 11, 2013

SystemAgnostic wrote:

Yes.

I'm only sure about the Nikon V1.  It can shoot at 30fps or 60fps in raw (or jpeg only, or raw + jpeg).  At these speeds, it only focuses once - on the first shot.  It can take 30 shots before the screen goes black and it processes the shots. If you shoot jpeg only the processing is much quicker, but you still are limited to 30 shots in a row.

If you want continual focus - you are limited in the V1 to 10fps.  The same 30 shots in a row before the camera briefly freezes for processing.  But again - you can do that in raw, raw + jpeg, or jpeg only.

Yeah, that's what I said and thought. I see no real advantage to a crazy high frame rate without AF. I can shoot 10FPS in RAW with AF now, so the frame rate is no higher than a dSLR and the buffer is much smaller which makes it a bit disappointing. Might be great for someone else, however.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow