7D Mirror Shake - w/70-200 f/2.8 - Advice on brace, please

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 6,163Gear list
Like?
Re: THANK YOU EVERYONE
In reply to phill104, Apr 11, 2013

phill104 wrote:

To your other question regarding which head from manfrotto I was referring to this one (not a true gimbal but does the same job) - http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/long-lens-monopod-bracket . When fitted to a good tripod it is rock solid especially in the wind where I used it for windsurfing shots. I've since replaced it for a Wimberly gimbal gead which is easier to track moving subjects with but not quite as solid when locked down.

Phil I use the same Manfrotto bracket. I modified it slightly. When I got it the bottom seemed wobbly.

So I removed the rubber cover, and saw that there was an allen nut that locks the spacing between the top knob and the tripod mount. You could loosen the allen nut, tighten the top knob down as desired, and then retighten the allen nut.

What I did was just leave the allen nut loose, and then put a rod in the bottom tripod mount part. This way I can ensure the bottom is tight on the tripod, but, still adjust the rotation resistance, or completely lock it down.

Rubber cover removed. Allen wrench loosening allen nut in top knob. Hole in bottom part that mounts to tripod barely visible.

Rubber cover on top knob replaced. Aluminum rod, inserted in existing hole in bottom, tripod mount portion.

edit: not sure if it is just me, but, the pictures don't seem to be loading. The pics are in my gallery, in the Manfrotto 393 modification album.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow